Friday Meets - 23 June 2017

Image result for ecards cold weather

Greetings! While most of my fellow bloggers are enjoying the summer and sunshine, some of us here in the Southern hemisphere are freezing. No, we do not go to the gym. We read. The brain needs exercise too. 

Meet me on Friday @ Friday 56 for a bit of Book Blogger Hop to kick-start the weekend with Book Beginnings.

Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this date, you will need the following:

  • Grab a book (Yes, any book. But it might get you to your other Friday activities a bit quicker if you just grab the book you are currently reading)
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% on your e-reader
  • Find a sentence or two (your other Friday activities might determine this)
  • Post it!
  • Remember to post your link on Freda's Voice and to visit the other guys in the linky.
  • And don't forget to list the title of the book and the author as well.
I had a good reading month so far and I am on schedule. That "monthly reads" shelf on my Goodreads profile proofs to be helpful. I've only deviated on one or two books, but they brought so much pleasure, I don't care. I have My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier lined up for the weekend. Been looking forward to this one for quite some time.I have a 1951 edition to read from and the cupboard is stacked with hot chocolate and my blanky is waiting on the coach. Gosh, sometimes life is just good.

Page 56:

"I arrived home the first week in September. The news preceded me - the Italian had not lied when he told me he had written to Nick Kendall. My godfather had broken the news to the servants and to the tenants on the estate. Wellington was waiting for me at Bodmin with the carriage. The horses were decked in crepe, as were Wellington and the groom, their faces long and solemn."

Sure does sound if someone died here. Or there. Ooh, can't wait to start this one. Let's have a look at the opening lines.


Let's join Gilion @ Rose City Reader now for Book Beginnings. Every Friday we share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


5604250They used to hang men at Four Turnings in the old days. Not any more, though. Now, when a murderer pays the penalty for his crime, he does so up at Bodmin, after fair trial at the Assizes. That is, if the law convicts him, before his own conscience kills him. It is better so. Like a surgical operation. And the body has a decent burial, though a nameless grave. When I was a child it was otherwise. I can remember as a little lad seeing a fellow hang in chains where the four roads meet. His face and body were blackened with tar for preservation. He hung there for five weeks before they cut him down, and it was the fourth week that I saw him.

How times have changed. Books don't come like this anymore. Murderer's conscience doesn't come like that anymore either. And a young lad who has to lay eyes on a four week old corpse will now need life-long therapy. 


Image result for the good old days quotes


As always, I will also be joining the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Ramblings of a coffee addicted writer. Every week they will pop a question that you need to answer. Post your answer to your blog, enter your post to the linky provided, make yourself a cup of coffee and go visit the other blogs in the list. 

Today's questions: If you are at a really good point in a book and the phone or doorbell rings, do you stop reading or let the phone or door go unanswered?

My Answer: My pets are well trained. And I don't have a doorbell.

Image result for hiding from the door bell gif Image result for do not disturb face

But seriously now, my biggest "disturbance" is not the doorbell, a sleigh-bell, a cat-bell or the phone ringing. It's my husband!! Really. Seriously. It happens time and time again. I will be in the most important place in a novel, just before you find out who the killer is - or even worse, I will have only 2 pages left, and then he wants attention. Or go for a walk. Or he's hungry. *Sigh* Oh, what to do. I don't need to train my husband to do household chores, I've got that under control. It's my DO NOT DISTURB face I need to work on. I still struggle with that one.

Mareli 


Talk to me! -  What are you reading this weekend? What do you do with an annoying disturbance a when you are reading? 

Comments

  1. I love the dog and kitty. Thanks for the smiles.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a pleasure! Hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. Cute cartoons! I never answer the phone unless I know (and want to talk to) the caller (Caller ID!).

    I hate it when the doorbell rings...which hardly ever happens. When I know someone is coming, I'm ready. And they knock. Everyone knows how intrusive that doorbell is. LOL.

    I loved My Cousin Rachel, but it's been years since I read it. Time for a re-read?

    Stay curled up and warm, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always lovely to visit you! Bloggers are just soooo much better than unannounced people who ring the doorbell, don't you think?

      I've started with My cousin Rachel last night and I can't put it down!!

      Thanks for the well wishes, hope you have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. Reading a classic is a good way to start any season. Hope your winter is mild and is a time for lots of great books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly enjoy the classics as audio books, but Daphne du Maurier's books I want to hold in my hands and smell it and take it in....!

      I also hope that this winter season will bring many happy reading hours.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Love the door-ringing animation. Cute.

    LOVE YOUR answer - that happens to me too. He needs attention at the worst times.

    I LOVE Daphne Du Maurier...I actually didn't know about this book.

    Have a wonderful weekend, and thanks for coming by my blog.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth! I've bought my copy of My Cousin Rachel at a second-hand bookstore when I was still in school... Years ago. Never read it. When I saw the movie is coming out, I've decided to just give it a go and try it. LOVE IT!!!!!!

      Hope you will have a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. I really should read this! I've had it on my shelf for far too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had mine on my shelf since school. Years ago.....! And I only get to read it now! But it is worth it.

      Happy weekend Lauren!

      Delete
  6. Daphne du Maurier is an author I have long wanted to try. I hadn't even heard of her until I began blogging, can you believe it? I'm not sure how that was possible.

    When my dog was alive, he would always alert me when someone was at the door. Or on the sidewalk walking by the house. LOL He had a loud deep bark, even for his medium to small size.

    My husband and daughter are the same way! I'll be just pages from the end or at the height of the climax and there they are, suddenly wanting to talk.

    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my copy of My cousin Rachel since school and I have a friend who loves Rebecca, when I finally got to reading it - I loved it too!!! I saw the movie for My cousin Rachel is coming out and I've decided to go and find that age-old copy. Not very far yet, but sure is going to be worth it.

      Hope you have a good weekend too!

      Delete
  7. My Cousin Rachel is a book I've been hearing a lot about. It seems like it could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting it definitely is! You don't get many books like these anymore. Thankfully books never go out of fashion!

      Delete
  8. I used to say that REBECCA was my favorite book. I hope you enjoy this one.
    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca is such an awesome book! One of my favorites. I'm not very far with My Cousin Rachel yet, but I do believe it is also going to be a favorite read.

      Happy weekend and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. My Cousin Rachel sounds good. I never answer the doorbell, especially when I'm alone. When my husband is home, I let him answer. I only answer the phone if it's someone I know (what did I do before caller ID?) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Yvonne and I wish you an undisturbed weekend with no doorbells!

      Delete
  10. I recently saw the film of this but still need to get to the book, although I've read a lot of Du Maurier's other works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because I saw the movie is coming out that I've decided to read the book. Is it any good?

      Thanks for visiting and have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  11. I've only read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier prior to My Cousin Rachel and I already love it just as much as Rebecca. A re-read is always a good thing Kathy!

    Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't read this one. My Cousin Rachel sounds most enjoyable.

    Glad you are enjoying your reading. It always helps me cope.

    Thanks for the visit and the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just started this and so far so good! I loved Rebecca but hated Frenchman's Creek. So far this is more Rebecca-y. The husband thing is definitely a problem. I know spray bottles work on cats so maybe you could give that a try? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha ha!!! That is so funny!!! I am going to try that. I've got 15 pages left of My Cousin Rachel and if my husband comes walking in - I'm going to spray him.

      This book is really good.... It almost beats Rebecca.

      Delete
    2. I'm good for the review Thursday! I'm really enjoying this one though I may have to hide to get it finished tonight. A spray bottle might come in handy to keep all the interrupters away!

      Delete
    3. Wha ha ha!!!! You always know just how to cheer me up!! My review is done, so I can just post tomorrow.

      Delete
  14. haha lol I absolutely love your blog hop answer and that Gif is just everything! Have a great weekend and here is my blog hop answer

    http://katisbookaholicramblingreviews.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-blogger-hop-46.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katiria and apologies for the late reply. Hope you are enjoying a good week.

      Delete
  15. I really want to read this book! :-) Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love talking to you - I always Thalk back!

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post