Earlier this week, I told you about the newest edition to my household. My very own Smelly Cat! Cover Characteristics - Perfume. Seeing that today's theme for Book Travelling Thursdays is your favorite pet, I've decided to honor my little kitten by featuring Jennie by Paul Gallico.
Jennie is the story of a young boy called Peter, who is knocked down by a car. To his considerable astonishment, when he recovers, he is not a young boy, but a cat!
Fortunately, he meets Jennie, a cat who had been abandoned by her family when they moved away, who educates him in the wiles of the feline world.
It was first published in the UK in 1950 and also published in the USA in 1950, but under the title The Abandoned. Here are the two original covers:
Those were obviously the days before Covers became really important. The cover below on the left, is the one I have on my bookshelf (it is featured on my photo with Smelly Cat as well!). The one next to it is a re-publish by Penguin Books in 1999 and my favorite cover:
The art-work of the following three covers caught my eye as well:
And these three captured the atmosphere of this wonderful classic and it's feline heroine:
Least favorite covers:
Actually, it's not that the cover of the first one is not nice, it's more the title. The abandoned. That really just doesn't work for me. Makes me want to cry by just reading the title!
This little one was also abandoned, but now he is the happiest kitten alive. Thankfully the dogs think so too:
Note: Yes, you do cry in this novel. But it's not all bad crying. I promise.
Have you read Jennie? What book would you feature for your favorite pet? Remember to link up!
- Pick a book. At the beginning of every month, a list of themes will be posted. All you have to do is choose a book that fits that theme.
- In your blog post, include an explanation of why your chosen book fits the theme.
- Look at covers from multiple editions and multiple countries for the book you chose.
- Be sure to tag your posts with Book Travelling Thursdays Group so we can all see each other's posts. (Link back on the Goodreads Group)
- In your post, include the the following:
- The original cover
- The cover from your country (if there are multiple covers from your country, include them all)
- Your favorite cover
- Your least favorite cover