Big Little Lies on BTT and Thursday Quotables

Image result for big little lies

Greetings! Iv'e been a bit lazy with the weekly features the past couple of weeks. But at least I can honestly say I've spend that time reading. Mostly. Okay, about half of that time. Let's make it a third and call it quits. 

Seeing that it's a freebie day on Book Traveling Thursdays, I can wallow in my laziness and just combine this week's BTT with Thursday Quotables hosted by Bookshelf Fantasies.


I haven't binge read in ages, so last week Saturday was like going for coffee with a near and dear friend who you haven't spend time with in some time. And I am so glad to report that I've spend some real quality time with these lovely friends:

Image result for Big little lies gif

Know these ladies? By now - who doesn't? It's just me who came a bit late to the party. Or in this case, the trivia night.  

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty was first published in July 2014. This was the original cover:

19486412

I actually have no idea what was the cover that first appeared in South Africa, but I do know that the following one is currently easily available in all major and minor bookstores in SA:

33516773

Yup, it's my coffee friends once again. Nicole Kidman as Celeste, Reese Witherspoon as Madeline and Shailene Woodley as Jane. Let's have a look at a few other covers:

22312738 22060122 25553539

The first two are kindle editions and the third one is the Romanian edition. I like the flower breaking instead of the candy breaking on the original cover. Nice alternative.

25412329 27399036 27421039 25104686

From left to right: The Portuguese cover is the type of cover I skip without even glancing at the title or author. So that has to be my least favorite one. The Swedish cover reminds me of the cover for Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and there is just no similarities between the two books, so that is also a no from me. The Croatian one is quite nice. I like the delicate flower, it's like the truth. Something that doesn't come very easily in this novel. The Danish cover is a bit mediocre, but not all bad.  

I wanted to read this book long before the TV mini-series came out, but I'm actually glad I didn't. Went from binge reading to binge watching. This really is a fun and easy read. It keeps you on the edge of your seat and biting your nails, but it still leaves you thinking. There is very strong underlying theme here and Madeline pinpointed it very well:

Image result for big little lies reese witherspoon"There were so many levels of evil in the world. Some evils, like her own malicious words. Like not inviting a child to a party. Bigger evils like walking out on your wife and newborn baby or sleeping with your child's nanny. And then there was the sort of evil of which Madeline had no experience: cruelty in hotel rooms and violence in suburban homes and little girls being sold like merchandise, shattering innocent hearts."

Mareli 


Have you read Big Little Lies? And watched the mini-series?





Comments

  1. Would you believe I haven't read the book or seen the show? I'm putting this book on my lists of must reads for next year because there's just no way I'm getting to it this year which just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book so much (not the tv show tough, I got bored) all the covers here are gorgeous! my fav has to be the Swedish!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love talking to you - I always Thalk back!

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post