Friday Meets - 23 September 2016

Meet me on Friday @ Friday 56 for a bit of Book Blogger Hop to kick-start the weekend with Book Beginnings.


Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this date, you will need the following:
  •  Grab a book (Yes, any book. But it might get you to your other Friday activities a bit quicker if you just grab the book you are currently reading)
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% on your e-reader
  • Find a sentence or two (your other Friday activities might determine this)
  • Post it!
  • Remember to post your link on Freda's Voice and to visit the other guys in the linky.
  • And don't forget to list the title of the book and the author as well.
Hi guys! I'm back! Well sort off. I might not get to finish everything next week before we leave for Mauritius on Friday. Yea!! Do the Happy Beach Dance. But I sure will try (to do my Friday Meets, not the Happy Beach Dance. That comes naturally as you can see).


Image result for going on holiday gif


Sorry for the absence last week, it's been a bit of a tough week. But I am at home now and need to stay calm and collected - doctors orders. Yes, of course that means I can blog to my heart's content and don't have to stress about work. But as we all know, there usually is an evil villain lurking behind every bush and door who just can't wait to ruin all your marvelous plans. My evil villain made her appearance in the form of terrible headaches. 

 Image result for evil villain laugh gif

Computer screen is not my friend at the moment. Thankfully, we can always rely on books and if I keep really very still and only turn the page, I do manage to read. 

A couple of weeks ago, I've used One Hundred days of Happiness by Fausto Brizzi as my Book Beginnings. And then it ended up at the bottom of the stack. Again. I finally started with it on Wednesday afternoon and what a marvelous read! The tag by Graeme Simsion (author of The Rosie Project - one of my favorite books) on the cover is perfect: "Funny, moving ..... I defy anyone to finish this story without tears in their eyes".
   
Page 56: (Page 55 actually builds up to page 56 - unbelievable, I know!)
"What would you do if you had only a hundred days left to live? I'm going to leave a couple of pages blank, for you to jot down your notes. Scribble in it, be my guest, I won't be offended." 
And that is exactly what happens on page 56! The author has left two blank pages for you to scribble your last 100 days in. I think that's rather awesome (not that you might only have 100 days left to live, the fact that an author gives you permission to scribble in his book)

One Hundred Days of Happiness 



Lets join Gilion @ Rose City Reader now for Book Beginnings. Share the first sentence or so of the book you are reading (or just take the one you grabbed for Friday 56) and share it. You are welcome to also post your initial thoughts on the sentence and your first impressions of the book. Remember to also post your link to Rose City Reader and to visit the other City Readers! If you use another book as the one used for Friday 56, remember to include the title and author.

I don't know what to start with next. I'm already loading my kindle for two weeks in Mauritius, but I still have the follow paperbacks on my shelf. Can't take them to the beach, so I might as well read one of them this weekend. Which one of the following will you suggest:


25372801 25574782 25489094

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders Opening sentence: When Patricia was six years old, she found a wounded bird.

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter Opening sentence: When you first disappeared, your mother warned me that finding out exactly what had happened to you would be worse than never knowing.

The High Mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel Opening sentence: Tomas decides to walk. 

Can you recommend any of these three?


Book Blogger Hop
As always, I will also be joining the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Ramblings of a coffee addicted writer. Every week they will pop a question that you need to answer. Post your answer to your blog, enter your post to the linky provided, make yourself a cup of coffee and go visit the other blogs in the list. 

Today's questions: How many years have you been blogging? Anything special you want to tell everyone about your experiences?

My answer:   Can't talk in years, yet. Almost six months old though! That means I will soon start crawling all over the blogosphere causing havoc and leave a trail of delight behind me. Or I might start baring my teeth (as soon as I get some). So keep on being as kind, helpful and supportive as you've been so far. That sentence also sums up my experience over the past 172 days, 24 weeks (and 4 days), 4128 hours and 247,680 minutes. It's been one heck of a ride. Wouldn't change it for the world! 


Image result for Baby on a joyride funny pictures Image result for dancing baby gif

Mareli


Thalk to me!

What are you reading over the weekend?
How long have you been blogging and do you have some really awesome advice?


Comments

  1. PS have fun in Mauritius. Sounds like you need the break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bev! Will go check it out right now. And yes - we do need a break. Will take my laptop with though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bev! Will go check it out right now. And yes - we do need a break. Will take my laptop with though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty cool!

    I haven't read any of those, but All the Bird in the Sky Looks good.

    Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love talking to you - I always Thalk back!

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post