Friday Meets - 05 August 2016

It's the weekend! I've got a long weekend coming up and I really plan on not giving a damn about the outside world or universe, I'm spending it reading. 



Meet me on Friday @ Friday 56 for a bit of Book Blogger Hop to kick-start the weekend with Book Beginnings.


Friday 56 is hosted by Freda's Voice. For this date, you will need the following:
  •  Grab a book (Yes, any book. But it might get you to your other Friday activities a bit quicker if you just grab the book you are currently reading)
  • Turn to page 56 or 56% on your e-reader
  • Find a sentence or two (your other Friday activities might determine this)
  • Post it!
  • Remember to post your link on Freda's Voice and to visit the other guys in the linky.
  • And don't forget to list the title of the book and the author as well.

Seeing that I really need to get this weekend started, I am going to pick one book for Friday 56 and Book Beginnings. I know I don't normally do that, but in case you haven't noticed - today, I don't really give a damn. 

I am done with my Friday 56 pic from last week (Froelich's Ladder) and it was a great, great read! I had so many comments on that book after last week's post, I've decided to include my review for you: Froelich's Ladder - Everyone's gotta live Someplace

I'm just about done with my Book Beginnings choice of last week, Shutter Man. Whoa - that is one awesome book. Will hopefully review shortly. As soon as I'm finished with it, I can start with this one:


 Page 56:

" Two weeks ago, amidst mad chaos at a train station, Ingrid became separated from her aunt. The train departed. Ingrid was not on it. She stood alone on the platform for two straight days, shivering, waiting for her aunt to return. The aunt never came back. On the third day Ingrid asked people for help. They ignored her. " 

Salt to the Sea: Inspired by the worst disaster in maritime history, Ruta Sepetys (Between Shades of Gray which I haven't read yet), brilliantly tells a shocking, illuminating and ultimately life-affirming story from World War II. As thousands of refugees flock to the coast, desperate to escape the advancing Red Army, the paths of four young people converge. All are hoping to board the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety ad freedom. 


Lets join Gilion Rose City Reader now for Book Beginnings. Share the first sentence or so of the book you are reading (or just take the one you grabbed for Friday 56) and share it. You are welcome to also post your initial thoughts on the sentence and your first impressions of the book. Remember to also post your link to Rose City Reader and to visit the other City Readers! If you use another book as the one used for Friday 56, remember to include the title and author.

Guilt is a hunter. My conscience mocked me, picking fights like a petulant child.

Doesn't that very first sentence just hit you in the guts? I've been looking forward to reading this one for a couple of weeks now. Apparently I might shed some tears. Maybe after a good cry I might give a damn again. So let's get reading! 



Book Blogger Hop
As always, I will also be joining the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Ramblings of a coffee addicted writer. Every week they will pop a question that you need to answer. Post your answer to your blog, enter your post to the linky provided, make yourself a cup of coffee and go visit the other blogs in the list. 


Today's questions: If you recommend a book to someone, do you also send that person your review?

My answer:   Seeing that I've only been blogging for 4 months, I have like 13 reviews available. Of course I've read more than that in the past 4 months and the preceding 30 odd years. So I am still at the stage where I recommend more books without reviews done by yours truly than with reviews. 

If you happen to be looking for a weekend read, I recommend you visit my page Reflections on Ink There's only 13 to choose from, so you can just quickly scan through it.





Thalk to me!

What are you reading over the weekend?
Do you include your review when recommending a book? 

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post