Jane Steele - Reader, I didn't care for it much

Jane SteeleJane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book is a very good example of a bad habit. The habit of assumption. One assumes that a book is going to be great for oh so many reasons:

1.Everyone is raving mad about it (Sometimes Everyone is just raving mad)
2. That blurb. I mean really. Of course Everyone is going to go raving mad about it. What's NOT to like about -

"A Gothic retelling of Jane Eyre.

Like the heroine of the novel she adores, Jane Steele suffers cruelly at the hands of her aunt and schoolmaster. And like Jane Eyre, they call her wicked - but in her case, she fears the accusation is true. When she flees, she leaves behind the corpses of her tormentors.

A fugitive navigating London's underbelly, Jane rights wrongs on behalf of the have-nots whilst avoiding the noose. Until an advertisement catches her eye. Her aunt has died and the new master at Highgate House, Mr Thornfield, seeks a governess. Anxious to know if she is Highgate's true heir, Jane takes the position and is soon caught up in the household's strange spell. When she falls in love with the mysterious Charles Thornfield, she faces a terrible dilemma: can she possess him - body, soul and secrets - and what if he discovers her murderous past?"


- I actually get excited just by reading the blurb again.

3. Have you seen the cover? Have you seen the tag-line? Woah! How awesome is that.
4. It's a re-telling of one of the greatest classics on earth.

WHICH IT'S NOT!!!! (No Jane Eyre really is one of the greatest classics, but Jane Steele is not a re-telling of that classic)



Image result for Assumption gif


The first half of the story was great. I read through it quite quickly and yes, there were a number of similarities between the two Janes. Except that the one Jane has a much stronger sense for vengeance than the other one.

"I don't know the term for a child who falls asleep after her first murder and before confessing her sins, but I suspect it is not an intensely complimentary one."


Up until the point where Jane moves back to Highgate House, I honestly believed that all the hype surrounding this book was well deserved and this is going to be a solid 5 star read. Enter Mr Thornfield. Drop one star. The "mystery" surrounding Highgate House is revealed. Another star plummets to earth. Let's drain all the excitement by bringing in some romance. (I LOVED the romance between our beloved Jane and Mr Rochester. So weird and awkward). There was nothing of that disturbed romance between Miss Steele and Mr Thornfield. Damn. And another star simply died.

However, I have to compliment Lindsay Faye on her wonderful writing style. I was rather disappointed with Jane Steele, but I believe it's not the end of the road for me and Miss Faye. Jane Steele had a very strong narrative voice and we all know that a character can only get that from their creator. Hence the 2 stars.


View all my reviews

Mareli 


Any Lindsay Faye books you would recommend? 

Comments

  1. Damn, I had this on my TBR! Time to remove it from the list, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is good.... Maybe you should still give it a try! Maybe it's just me....

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I have this one on my list (though admittedly not very high) and I really hoped it would be good! The beginning does sound awesome but I'm not loving your comments about the second half. I suspect this isn't a book I'd enjoy either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Katherine, I don't know. But yes, what I know of my and your reading preferences - I don't think you will enjoy it! Sorry..... But the writing really is good.

      Delete
  3. And, of course, I just bought a copy of this book yesterday while at the local bookstore. Hopefully I will have better luck with it. Maybe reading your review will keep my expectations at a more realistic level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is very well written. I can recommend Lindsay Fay's writing style. Give it a try and let me know! Maybe it really really was just me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love talking to you - I always Thalk back!

Popular posts from this blog

King Solomon's mines - H. Rider Haggard

Recipes for Love and Murder - Sally Andrew

The Sunday Post